Penarth man prosecuted for incorrectly storing fireworks
A Penarth man has received a significant fine for failing to properly store fireworks following a successful trading standards investigation for Vale of Glamorgan Council.
29th November 2019
Shared Regulatory Services prosecuted Gurnwab Singh under the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.He was found guilty at Cardiff Magistrates Court and ordered to pay a fine of £1516, costs of £650 and a victim surcharge of £151.
Mr Singh was granted an explosives licence to store fireworks at A-Z Dragon Discount on Windsor Road in Penarth in October 2017 and had been given advice on how to do that safely. But a visit from SRS officers a year later highlighted a number of issues, including:
- No measures in place to prevent the spread of fire
- Emergency exits not maintained
- Fireworks stored in corroded cabinets with flammable papers
- Open boxes of fireworks, one of which contained a knife, presenting a risk of piercing
Mr Singh had gained a licence after his aunt, the owner of the shop, had surrendered hers in 2016 after being prosecuted for similar offences.
Cllr Eddie Williams, Chair of the Shared Regulatory Services Joint Committee said:
“This business was storing fireworks in a dangerous way, a situation that posed a significant risk to members of the public. The threat of injury or damage to property was very real and excellent work by Shared Regulatory Services has led to this prosecution and addressed that danger.
“This case should serve as a warning to others engaged in unsafe practices. We take our duty of care extremely seriously and will not hesitate to take action if people do not comply with the relevant regulations.”